How To Cook Different Types of Squash: 4 Low Calorie Squash Recipes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Seemingly infinite in size, shape, color and taste, there is one thing all of the different varieties of squash share: flavor! But when it comes to cooking different squash varieties, many are in the dark. Fear not - let this guide on How To Cook Different Types of Squash: 4 Low Calorie Squash Recipes show you the wonderfully healthy possibilities of squash recipes.
Low Calorie Squash Recipes for Different Types of Squash:
Butternut squash is packed with nutrients, so give it a try instead of the usual sweet potato casserole. It gives you the same great taste with less fat and calories, plus there are tons of tart apples in this dish!
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1 butternut squash, 2.5-3 lbs.
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch white pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons buttery spread
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups corn flakes or Fiber One Cereal
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- Measure 3 cups of cornflake cereal and then put through a food processor to make coarsely chopped crumbs. If you already have a box of crushed cornflake crumbs on hand, then use about 2/3 cup.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out seeds and steam 30 minutes, or bake on foil, cut-side down, in 350 degrees F oven until tender. (If baking, it will take approximately 40-45 minutes.)
- Scrape out pulp and mash or beat in mixer or processor until smooth. Add butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Slice apples very thinly. In skillet, melt buttery spread and add apples. Sprinkle with sugar and cover, simmering until barely tender. Spread in an 8 or 9" casserole and spoon squash mixture evenly over apples.
TOPPING: Mix all ingredients (corn flakes, pecans, melted butter and brown sugar) and spread over squash and bake in 325 deg. oven for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Summer never tasted so delish with this flavor-packed squash gratin. With a cook time of just 20 minutes, you won't be wasting your summer indoors cooking when utilizing this summer squash recipe.
Cooking Time: 37 min
- 3 cups sweet potato, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter substitute
- 2 cups summer squash, zuchhini or butternut squash, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups milk, coconut milk or soy milk
- 1 cup cooked or canned red beans or cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped or 2 teaspoons, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put the sweet potatoes in boiling water; cover and boil for about 5 minutes, then drain and cool.
- Melt the butter substitute in a saucepan and add the summer squash, scallions and garlic; saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the milk, beans and seasonings and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Place the potatoes in the bottom of a lightly greased 8-inch casserole or gratin dish.
- Pour the vegetable-milk mixture over the potatoes and sprinkle with the Gouda and bread crumbs.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until a crust forms on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Summertime squash is a versatile summer squash recipe that you can either make in the oven or on the grill. This side dish features yellow squash and goes well with grilled foods.
Cooking Time: 20 min
- 2 cups yellow squash, thinly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine squash, oil, paprika, salt and garlic powder in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- Seal bag; shake to coat squash.
- Place squash on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
- Yields 2 cups.
Chock full of lean hearty ingredients like skinless white meat chicken, summer squash, corn and great northern beans, this low calorie slow cooker recipe is a healthy dinner delight.
Cooking Time: 7 hr
- 2 cups great northern beans
- 3 cups water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken white meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound summer squash
- 15 ounces can hominy or corn, drained
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Bring beans to a boil in enough water to cover. Drain. Combine beans with 3 cups boiling water in slow cooker. Add seasonings. Place chicken on top.
- Quarter squash lengthwise, seed and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces. Add to cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in hominy or corn, sour cream, salt, lime juice and chopped cilantro. Spoon into bowls. Garnish with sour cream, tomato and cilantro if desired.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
"This Dump-and-Bake Sweet and Sour Chicken is a lighter, healthier version of the Chinese restaurant classic. With just one dish and… Continue reading: "Dump and Bake Sweet and Sour Chicken"
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Lemon Balsamic Chicken With Rosemary Sauce
- Salisbury Steak
- Skinny Gingerbread Latte Recipe
- Green Lentil With Sausage
- Pork Chops In Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Rich And Hearty Beef And Ale Stew
- Creamy Italian Meatball Soup
- Turmeric Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Easy Creamy Leek And Chicken Soup
- Easy Beer Cheese Dip Recipe
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook