13 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes
- see all comments
"Looks good but haven't tried it yet"
"What is the nutrition for this recipe?"
"The recipe won't pull up. I get and error page from a blogger named Kelly."
"5 ingredient cheesecake for 2"
Top 7 Quick and Healthy Breakfast Recipes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
Not everyone has time for a balanced breakfast, but we need to find a way to get these nutrients fast--and not in the form of a pop tart! Breakfast is important for growing kids, but don't forget about yourself either. We're going to share with you our five reasons why breakfast is so important plus some tips to getting a healthy start to your day. We'll even share our top 7 quick and healthy breakfast recipes so you don't have to skip out on the most important meal of the day. So grab your grocery list, get a box of whole-grain cereal and start crunching!
Table of Contents
Top 5 Reasons Why You Need Breakfast
- Start that engine: Eating breakfasts jumpstarts your metabolism. The sooner you start eating after you wake up the better.
- It energizes: Food gives you energy, and how are you going to start your day without some energy? Those who skip breakfast are unable to perform as many physical tasks as those who do. Breakfast is a great way to jolt yourself awake on a Monday morning.
- Focus on breakfast: Breakfast has been proven to improve concentration. This is especially important on days you are going to work or for kids who need to concentrate in school. In fact, studies show kids who eat breakfast show more improvements on standardized tests and can concentrate more in class.
- Eat to lose weight: Studies suggest those who skip breakfast actually consume more calories over the course of the day than breakfast-eaters. Skipping breakfast can lead to weight gain! Who knew eating could help you keep off weight?
- Take in nutrients: This simple meal can actually improve your overall nutrition by improving your nutrient intake. Even just eating cereal and milk can give you calcium, iron and much more!
Make breakfast ahead of time
You won't want to bake that homemade granola in the morning at 7 a.m., so make it the night before after you eat dinner so you won't devour it before breakfast time.
Always use fresh ingredients
These will give you the most nutrients and make you or your kids really look forward to eating breakfast.
If it looks too good to be true, it probably is
When grocery shopping, stick to whole grains, even if a cereal seems to be low in calories. You may have to sacrifice some calories, but you will be getting your nutrients and staying away from processed sugars.
Don't eat too many carbs
These carbs can actually make you tired if you eat too much. Add milk or yogurt, fruit and some type of protein to your breakfast if possible.
Use what you've got
Mix in leftovers for a complete breakfast. Add turkey meat to your omelet or create banana bread with those bananas that are turning brown. You can use almost anything for breakfast, even if it isn't what you would normally eat.
Prep the kitchen
So you aren't too tired in the morning, set aside everything you need to make your breakfast, and plan it ahead of time just like you would plan any dinner. Get your blender ready, set aside your eggs and pre-cut any fruit you are planning to use. No excuses!
Our Top 7 Quick and Healthy Recipes
- Southwest Turkey and Cheese Omelet: This is the perfect meal for those leftovers! If you had tacos for dinner last night or have half of your burrito from lunch a few days ago, you can use these ingredients for breakfast. Throw in whatever Southwest ingredients you have on hand, from corn to beans to cheeses. Pair it with some fresh berries and an English muffin and you're good to go!
- Take and Bake Bran Muffins: Bran can be delicious too! Instead of eating a dry and tasteless cereal, make these muffins ahead of time. You can make a big batch when you have time and freeze them until they're ready to eat. Throw in some fruit or choclate chips to these classic muffins.
- Strawberry-Banana Soy Milk Shake: Milkshakes sound like a decadent treat that you can't enjoy for breakfast, but not this one! Soy can prevent cancer and improve heart health, so try to incorporate it in your diet. Grab a straw and bring this one in the car with you if you're on the go.
- Sweet Apple Scones: For those of you who are unfamiliar, scones are almost a mix between a muffin and a cookies. They are often dry and buttery, but they can be sweet and light too! Have a scone with some yogurt and fruit for a well-balanced breakfast or save your scone as a snack with some tea.
- Cinnamon Banana Walnut Cake: This may be a cake, but it is a great breakfast bread that can also be made into muffins. This cake is a great crowd-pleaser for you next brunch and is also great any day of the week. Top with peanut butter and fresh bananas for a well-rounded breakfast.
- Quick Fruity Oatmeal: Oatmeal doesn't have to come instantly from Quaker! You can easily and quickly make it yourself. You can easily make this for yourself or for your family in the morning, and toss in whatever fruit you have on hand. Oatmeal is one of the healthiest breakfasts, and it is the perfect way to start your day.
- Pumpkin Oat Pancakes: Pumpkin isn't just for fall, and pancakes aren't just for special occasions! Put together your ingredients the night before, and these pancakes will fluff up in no time. The pumpkin gives these cakes the extra moisture they need, and they won't disappoint.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
Easy Overnight Breakfast Strata
"This ham, egg, and cheese breakfast casserole is an easy and healthy make-ahead meal that's perfect for a holiday brunch, a busy… Continue reading: "Easy Overnight Breakfast Strata"
- 47 Portable Heart Healthy Lunch Recipes
- Stealth Health: 17 Recipes That Make Cooking Light Easy
- 530 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes
- 21 Potluck Favorites
- Cooking Cowboy Food: 25 Western Recipes Made Healthier
- 10 Amish Recipes for Your Family Dinners
- Low-Calorie Dinner Recipes
- 10 Best Low Fat Recipes for Two
- 24 Simple Healthy Recipes for Your Family
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- GET fast cooking tips
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Easy Rhubarb Delight Bars Recipe
- Best Simple Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
- Easy Creamy Ranch Chicken Recipe
- Easy Chicken Chop Suey Recipe
- Easy Salmon Patties
- Low Carb Egg White Wrap
- Overnight Cookie Dough Oats
- Ground Beef And Cabbage Stir Fry
- Italian Quinoa Pasta Salad
- Mexican Brussel Sprouts
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook