Comfort Food Made Healthy: Our Top Ten Low-Calorie Comfort Foods
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
From meatloaf and potatoes to pies and chocolate, we all grew up eating comfort food for dinner. Comfort food recipes have a universal appeal because they taste great and remind us of a simpler time. The problem is that, as we get older, our top ten comfort foods become less appealing because of health reasons. Often, comfort foods are so comforting and tasty because they're filled with fat, sugar, and calories.
Low-calorie comfort foods do exist, and we here at FaveHealthyRecipes have compiled this list of Comfort Food Made Healthy: Our Top Ten Low-Calorie Comfort Foods. So now you can enjoy your favorite recipes without feeling guilty.
Our Top Ten Low-Calorie Comfort Foods
After one bite, you'll be hooked on these low-calorie recipes.
We have even more amazing low-calorie recipes. We suggest you take a look at these 12 Easy Low-Calorie Recipes.
- Healthy Chocolate Brownies - Perhaps the ultimate comfort food, chocolate is sweet, smooth, and universally beloved. One bite of these deliciously rich chocolate brownies transports you to comfort food heaven. Yet the reason chocolate brownies taste so good is because they're full of fat, sugar, and calories. If you want to indulge in some classic sweetness without worrying too much about calories, then give this recipe for zucchini brownies a try.
- Shareable Turkey Meatloaf Muffins -Whether in your favorite diner or in your childhood kitchen, meatloaf is a classic dinner. Slices of meat flavored with ketchup, eggs, and bread crumbs, meatloaf is a comfort food recipe mastered by every home cook. For a healthier take on a diner classic, use this recipe for turkey meatloaf muffins. Ground turkey has much less fat than most ground beef, making this recipe leaner than your average meatloaf.
- Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Bake - Ooey, gooey and delicious, cheesy casseroles are an everyday comfort food enjoyed by even the pickiest eaters. By adding and adjusting a few ingredients, you can turn your classic casserole recipe into a low-calorie comfort food. By adding broccoli and cauliflower to this simple casserole recipe, you'll transform this unhealthy dish into one of your favorite healthy dinners.
- Skinny Scalloped Potato Gratin - Potatoes are the perfect side dish when you're craving a classic comfort food recipe. Creamy and delicious, these scalloped potatoes taste great alongside any dish. Instead of buying a box of scalloped potatoes at the grocery store, try this homemade recipe. Your family will immediately notice a difference, and they'll be raving about these potatoes until the end of time.
- Weeknight Honey BBQ Chicken Nuggets - Something magical happens to a piece of chicken once it's breaded and deep fried. Crispy and oily, fried chicken is an irresistible comfort food. For a healthier version of fried chicken, avoid the fryer and use the oven instead. This oven-fried chicken recipe replicates the crispy shell of fried chicken but with a healthier baked crust. This low-calorie comfort food recipe is great because it is easy to make, unbelievably delicious, and much healthier than the original version.
- Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup - The best medicine for any illness is this classic comfort food recipe. For any sickness, chicken soup warms up the body and has you feeling better again in no time. However, chicken soup is not always the best for your body as it is often overflowing with excess salt and calories. By making the soup at home, you control the ingredients and what you consume. Homemade soup is greatly improved by adding lots of fresh or frozen veggies.
- One-Pan Penne with Broccoli - This is a go-to comfort food for dinner because everyone loves a bowl of pasta. Lighten up this classic dinner with this low-calorie pasta recipe. By putting vegetables like broccoli in your pasta, you'll make this a nutritious and delicious meal. So whenever you're feeling down in the dumps, go ahead and make this easy penne recipe. We can guarantee you won't be disappointed. There's a reason why this penne is on the top ten list of low-calorie recipes - it's simply amazing.
- Creamy Cauliflower Chowder - Warm yourself from the inside out with this creamy chowder recipe. Made with your favorite veggies and delicious bacon, this hearty soup recipe will be sure to put a smile on your face. We suggest that you whip out this chowder on a chilly night because there is no better way to combat the cold than with this comfort food recipe. So grab a spoon and dig in! We won't mind if you take a bit more than your share; however, your family might not be too happy.
- Slow Cooked Applesauce - Applesauce in little pre-wrapped plastic containers is a sweet childhood staple and a delicious comfort food. While low in fat, most applesauce has high amounts of sugar with little nutritional value to boot. For a healthier version, simply make this homemade applesauce in the comfort of your own kitchen.
- Dairy-Free Honey Pumpkin Pie - It doesn't matter if it's a holiday or not, pumpkin pie is a delicious comfort food no matter what. A big slice of pie is the perfect way to end any meal because it's the dessert that everyone loves. The best news is that you won't feel guilty after enjoying this low-calorie pumpkin pie.
For more easy comfort food recipes, check out our The 13 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes Free eCookbook.
Read NextThanks For The Click!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
With a few smart ingredient substitutions, Anne Colagioia is able to make a Bisquick impossible taco pie recipe that you can feel good… Continue reading: "Seven Layer Impossible Taco Pie"
- Thanks For The Click!
- 21 Old-Fashioned Recipes Made Healthy
- Stealth Health: 17 Recipes That Make Cooking Light Easy
- 10 Amish Recipes for Your Family Dinners
- The Best Healthy Quinoa Recipes
- Cooking for Beginners: 14 Easy Dinner Recipes
- 21 Potluck Favorites
- Fun Quick and Easy Summer Dessert Ideas
- 36 Easy Healthy Weeknight Dinners for Warm Weather
- 47 Portable Heart Healthy Lunch Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Slices
- Arugula Salad
- Pumpkin Banana Muffins With Streusel Topping
- Blueberry Oat Muffins
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Oatmeal
- The Best Florentine Quiche
- Kerala Chicken Curry With Coconut
- All About Pesto
- Red White Blue Cheese And Fruit Charcuterie Board
- How To Cook Frozen Hamburgers In The Oven
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook