How to Replace Eggs with Fruit in Baking
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you are looking for a way to make a recipe vegan, or reduce your intake of cholesterol, a great way to do so is by substituting the eggs for either applesauce or mashed banana. It’s very simple to do so, as long as you take into consideration a few things.
What purpose did the eggs serve in the original recipe? If their main purpose was to hold the dough together, or to add moisture, this is a perfect opportunity to substitute them for fruit. It’s also important to note that for cakes and cookies, eggs can often be used to keep the dough light and fluffy. Fruit tends to make baked items denser, so to avoid that, an additional teaspoon of baking powder for each egg in the recipe should even it out quite nicely.
Will the flavors from the fruit compliment those in the recipe? If you are making something sweet, such as zucchini bread, the sugar in the fruit would compliment the flavors in the bread very well. On the other hand, if you want to replace eggs in a savory recipe, you may want to use a commercial egg replacement or silken tofu that won’t change the flavor of the dish.
Also, since the fruit contains natural sugar, you can reduce the amount of added sugar in the recipe by at least 1/2 teaspoon for each egg.
So, when replacing eggs with apple sauce or bananas, it is best to do so when making sweet baked goods such as quick breads, cookies, and muffins. If you follow these tips, you will be on your way to a variety of baked goods with fewer calories, cholesterol, and added sugar, but still the delicious flavors of the treats you love.
Looking for a recipe to try it out? Here is a recipe for Eggless Zucchini Bread:
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine:
- 2 cups sugar (I like to mix 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 raw sugar)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup mashed banana
- In another medium sized bowl, combine:
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
2. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until just combined. Then add 2 1/4 cups grated zucchini and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Pour into a bread pan and bake at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes.
Gillian writes the food blog Eat My Words (http://eatmywordsblog.wordpress.com/)
For more recipes from and information about Gillian, be sure to check out her Featured Foodies profile page.
Read NextItalian Seasoning Recipe
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
Need a quick and easy side dish to go along with the main course? Make this Super Simple Pasta Salad Side Dish! It is possibly the… Continue reading: "Super Simple Pasta Salad Side Dish"
- Italian Seasoning Recipe
- Simple Healthy Recipes + Cooking Tips for Beginners
- How to Grill Chicken: How Long Does It Take to Grill Chicken, Really?
- How to Plan a Soup Bar Party: 6 Tips for a Great Event
- How To Cook Eggs Correctly
- Low Carb Baking Substitutions
- The Ultimate Guide to Cooking Butternut Squash
- How to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: 6 Healthy Recipes You Need To Know
- How to Make Simple Moist Banana Bread
- Lose Weight the Right Way: 5 Tips to Weight Loss Success
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Easy Spaghetti Arrabiata (6-ingredient Sauce)
- Healthy Baked Feta Recipe
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree
- Easy One Pot Sausage And Bean Casserole
- Roasted Pumpkin Quinoa Salad (pumpkin Spice Dressing)
- Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- Italian Seasoning Recipe
- Garlic Butter Shrimp Recipe
- Keto Baked Zoodles And Meatballs
- Best Low Carb Blueberry Muffins
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook