How to Grill Chicken: How Long Does It Take to Grill Chicken, Really?
Find out the best method for how to grill chicken and some of our best grilled chicken recipes!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Have you ever wondered how to grill chicken, and how much time it requires? Well now you can finally learn. We've included helpful information on the best ways to grill chicken, along with some easy recipes for grilled chicken that you'll want to try today! Chicken is perfect to whip up for dinner because it's hearty, filling, and tasty, but it's not loaded with fat like other types of meat. You can enjoy it anytime throughout the year.
Chicken is such a great meal because you can do so much with it. You can dress up a plain piece of chicken with a variety of marinades and seasonings. Make Italian chicken using tomato sauce and basil, Mexican chicken with chipotle sauce and lime, Asian-style chicken with soy sauce and stir-fried veggies, Hawaiian chicken with teriyaki and pineapple, and Greek chicken with olive oil and lemon. See, there are so many options.
If you're rushed for time, your best bet is to grill chicken. Grilling is one of the fastest and simplest ways to cook chicken. With these helpful tips, you will learn how to grill your chicken to perfection. And with these easy recipes, you will taste how amazing chicken can be.
How to Grill Chicken
Spray grill rack with nonstick cooking spray.
It is important that your grill is clean before cooking.
Make sure chicken is fully thawed before grilling.
Heat the grill depending on cut of chicken. For boneless chicken breasts, cook on high heat. This should take about 6-10 minutes on each side. Longer-cooking cuts (such as bone-in chicken parts) should be cooked over a lower heat. This could take between 45-60 minutes to cook.
Turn chicken every 10 minutes.
Use long-handled tongs or a wide metal spatula to move the chicken. Poking it with a fork will cause precious juices to escape. You need those juices for moist and tender chicken.
Know what kind of seasonings you are using. Marinades and basting sauces, many of which have a high sugar content, will burn if the grill temperature is too hot or if exposed to heat for too long. Cook on medium heat and pour sauce on chicken towards the end (after about 25 minutes).
If you're cooking boneless chicken breasts, pound them flat before grilling. This will allow them to cook evenly.
Don't risk serving under-cooked chicken. When in doubt, make a small cut into the thickest part so you can be positive that it's no longer pink inside. You can also check doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the chicken to see if it has reached a safe internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.
Grilled Chicken Recipe
This recipe for Grilled Honey Ginger Chicken is one of the simplest recipes you can ever make. It's really healthy and full of flavor. For a complete meal, serve with steamed vegetables such as broccoli and brown rice.
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 6 tablespoons dark reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed into a pulp
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, finely ground
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more or less according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon honey
Cut each whole chicken breast into two pieces and each breast into four.
Cut two long, parallel, diagonal slits on each side of the leg pieces. The slits should never start at an edge and should be deep enough to reach the bone; cut similar slits on the meaty side of each breast piece.
In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, coriander, cayenne, turmeric and honey. Mix until smooth and put the chicken in marinade.
Rub the marinade into all the pieces, making sure it goes deep into the slits.
Set aside for 1-2 hours, turning the pieces now and then.
Preheat the grill to a medium high temperature (450 degrees F) and arrange the chicken pieces skin side down, in a single layer on a grilling tray.
Cook for 12-15 minutes or until nicely browned, basting once with the juices.
Turn the pieces over and cook the second side for a similar length of time, basting once or twice with the juices. The chicken should be well browned before serving.
Easy Recipes for Grilled Chicken
Now that you have the skills to grill, make even more delicious dinners with these easy recipes for grilled chicken.
1. Grilled Peach Salsa Chicken
2. Key Lime Grilled Chicken Taco Skewers
3. Mango Grilled Chicken Salad
4. Grilled Apple Chicken
5. Grilled Garlic Citrus Chicken
6. Grilled Honey Ginger Chicken
7. Chicken Cape Kabobs
8. Skinny Grilled Chicken Parmesan
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Easy Potluck Ideas and Tips You Can’t Live Without
- How to Replace Eggs with Fruit in Baking
- How To Cook Eggs Correctly
- How to Grill Chicken: How Long Does It Take to Grill Chicken, Really?
- How to Make Simple Moist Banana Bread
- How to Sun Dry Tomatoes
- How to Make Zoodles + Zoodle Recipes
- How to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: 6 Healthy Recipes You Need To Know
- How To Prepare and Cook Garlic
- Herbs for Health: The 10 Best Herbs for Healthy Cooking
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Chewy Apple Oatmeal Bars
- Vegetarian Taco Meat That's Gluten-Free
- Curry Quinoa Salad
- Keto Matcha Coconut Fat Balls
- Baked garlicky Sweet Potato Fries
- Frieling Tea Maker
- Crunchy Pomegranate Quinoa Salad
- Healthy Gingerbread Cookies
- Superfood Christmas Cookies
- Healthy Gingerbread Cake Bars
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook