How To Prepare and Cook Garlic
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
When it comes to getting the most flavor for your buck, can garlic be beat? Able to impart worlds of flavor, from slightly sweet and nutty to intensely aromatic and mildly pungent, garlic is easy and healthy way to add flavor to your cooking. Here are some helpful tips and hints to show you how to get the most out of your garlic.
How To Select Garlic
While pre-chopped garlic is convenient and still plenty tasty, get the most garlic flavor direct from the bulb. Look for bulbs that are uniform in color and slightly heavy for their size. The skin should be tight with no cracks. Avoid green, because that means the bulb has begun to sprout.
How To Store Fresh Garlic
Non-broken bulbs will stay good in a cool and dry place for up to four months. Non-peeled heads of garlic are good to go for about a week in the refrigerator. Keep garlic away from moisture, as wetness causes rotting. Sprouted garlic is no good, so dispose of the bulb if green appears.
How To Peel Garlic Cloves
To process the bulb, simply make a gash in the outer skin with a small knife and use your fingers to separate out the individual bulbs. If cooking with whole cloves, cut off a small amount from the top and bottom and remove the skin with your fingertips.
If cooking with smashed, sliced or minced cloves, peel by smashing the cloves with a large flat knife. Place the clove on a cutting board and put a knife down on top. Using the heel of your palm, press down on the knife and garlic firmly in a smashing motion. The skin should come right off.
After all that peeling, if for some reason you do not want to smell of raw garlic, wash your hands with a piece of stainless steel to remove that distinct odor. The side of the kitchen sink works well in a pinch.
How To Cook Garlic
The size of the garlic pieces and the amount of cooking time drastically affects the flavor imparted by the garlic. Larger pieces cooked at a low temperature ensure a nutty and slightly sweet flavor. Smaller pieces cooked at high temperatures leaves that strong and heavily aromatic flavor typically associated with garlic. Incorporate garlic at the end of the cooking process because overcooked garlic equals bitter food.
Health Benefits Of Garlic
Not only is garlic tasty and versatile, but it is also great for you. Garlic is a great way to flavor a dish without adding lots of calories. Garlic can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart conditions. Just don't expect garlic to cure bad breath.
Read NextHow to Make Zoodles + Zoodle Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
Because the kids always have some type of sniffles this is the perfect soup to make for winters. I made some just before the kids went… Continue reading: "Baby Alien Soup – Immune Boosting"
- How to Make Zoodles + Zoodle Recipes
- How To Cook Eggs Correctly
- Spice Guide: How to Season Meat
- All About Pesto
- Kitchen Hacks: 12-ingredient Dry Rub For Ribs
- Herbs for Health: The 10 Best Herbs for Healthy Cooking
- Fun Ideas for Healthy Kids' Lunches
- How to Cook Quinoa
- Simple Healthy Recipes + Cooking Tips for Beginners
- How to Make Low Calorie Rhubarb Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Mexican Tuna Salad
- Almond Joy Coffee Creamer Recipe
- Air Fryer Yellow Squash
- Inside Out Egg Rolls
- Easy Homemade Healthy Ketchup Recipe
- Homemade Tomato Ketchup Canning Recipe
- Mini Blueberry Tarts
- Easy Sprouted Mung Bean Salad
- The Best Egg Substitutes For Baking And Cooking
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash Fries
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook