How to Make Great Cornbread
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Cornbread can be made a number of different delicious ways. From jiffy corn bread, to cast iron skillet cornbread, to corn bread casseroles, there are a lot of choices! We include some helpful hints and tricks to making cornbread along with some of our personal favorite cornbread recipes.
There are three keys to perfect cornbread: great cornmeal, great batter, and great cooking techniques. These tricks have been before Europeans had even set foot in the Americas. Cornbread was actually invented by Native Americans who had been using ground corn in their cooking for a long time. Afterwards, cornbread became a staple of southern cooking and was even used in the Civil War because it was portable and filled soldiers up well.
Today, cornbread is made just as much as ever all throughout America. It has been adapted by different regions so that today everyone feels like they know the secret to great cornbread. In the south, it is common to cook cornbread on the stove in an iron skillet. This makes for a very moist cornbread with flakey crust, however it requires a well seasoned skillet, which not everyone has. Another common technique is to bake your cornbread. This is more popular in the northern United States. Cornrbead that has been baked is lighter and sweeter than traditonal southern cornbread; the taste is very similar to a corn muffin. Some people even make steamed cornbread, a more pudding-like version of this popular dish.
Great cornmeal starts with great corn. If you want to make the best cornbread, then you are going to have to buy the finest cornmeal around. Thanks to our modern world, however, this is not difficult no matter where you live. Check out your local organic store, if you are able to, and find a brand that fits within your price range. Once your cornmeal is in hand, it's time to make your batter. The recipe depends on your personal choice, but what you want to make sure you do no matter what is mix your ingredients well. Cornbread with improperly mixed baking powder can turn out very badly. Take your time in mixing the batter and you will get better results. The cooking technique is up to you. Fry it on the stove, bake it in your oven, or even steam it! Cornbread has a tendency to get dry easily, so check on your bread often during the cooking process. Most people enjoy their cornbread crispy on the outside, but moist on the inside.
Not everyone has time to make cornbread completely homemade. Instead, try one of these great Jiffy recipes. Use the Jiffy mix to get you started and you'll be enjoying cornbread before you know it!
There have been many creative adaptations to the time tested cornbread recipe. These meals will satisfy your desire for cornbread goodness!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
"This ham, egg, and cheese breakfast casserole is an easy and healthy make-ahead meal that's perfect for a holiday brunch, a busy… Continue reading: "Easy Overnight Breakfast Strata"
- Easy Way to Peel Roasted Peppers
- How to Make Zoodles + Zoodle Recipes
- Low Carb Baking Substitutions
- Easy Potluck Ideas and Tips You Can’t Live Without
- How to Cook with Whole Grains
- Spice Guide: How to Season Meat
- How to Cook Quinoa
- How to Plan a Soup Bar Party: 6 Tips for a Great Event
- How to Make Simple Moist Banana Bread
- How to Sun Dry Tomatoes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Chennai Style Vadacurry
- Classic Bread Pudding With Vanilla Sauce
- White Chicken Chili
- Restaurant Style Ranch Dressing
- Simple Deviled Eggs
- Taco Skillet Bake
- Fennel Slaw With Apples
- Watermelon Granita
- Turmeric Gummy Candy
- Spicy Chilli Baby Corn
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook