Fun Ideas for Healthy Kids' Lunches
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Pizza and burgers are okay school lunch treats for kids to eat every once and a while, but a great, nutritious, packed lunch is proven to be very beneficial to your child's health and development.
Are you in need of some ideas for healthy kid lunches? FaveHealthyRecipes has got you covered with this issue of Fun Ideas for Healthy Kids' Lunches.
5 tips for the perfect school lunch:
Choose the right lunch bag. Paper bags are fine for sandwiches like PB&J, but because they offer no insulation and tear easily, they are not the ideal lunch bag for a child's lunch. We recommend you opt for an insulated lunch bag. These bags are specially made to keep cold foods cold and even sometimes come with a freezer pack and have more than one compartment to separate drinks from food.
The most nutritious lunches include foods from at least three food groups. This does not necessarily mean your child should have a sandwich, fruit and milk every day for lunch. As long as it's balanced, you can mix up the order and pack things from at least three food groups that your child will like.
Pack a snack. A snack can be very imperative in your child's day. Most elementary schools allow for a mid-morning or after-lunch snack, depending on your child's lunch time. This snack should also have some nutritional value. Some ideas for healthy snacks are a piece of fruit, graham crackers or pretzels.
Let your child help. Your child might have a better chance of enjoying his or her lunch knowing that they have helped create it. This also teaches responsibility while your child learns about healthy eating habits.
Respect your child's eating style. Some kids like eating the same thing every day, while others might get bored of that same PB&J or turkey sandwich. Make sure you know your child's food preferences and work with him or her to achieve ultimate lunch-time success.
If your child loves club sandwiches, try this healthy take on a club sandwich:
Amazing Club Sandwiches
This healthy version of the classic club sandwich is big enough to serve two people, so if you have two kids or you're a club lover yourself, this is the perfect recipe for you.
6 turkey bacon slices
6 white bread slices, (substitute with whole wheat bread) toasted
2 large cooked turkey slices
1 large tomato, sliced
sliced gherkin pickles
1. In 10 inch skillet over medium heat, cook bacon slices until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
2. Spread one side of each bread slice with light mayonnaise.
3. Arrange lettuce leaves on 2 slices.
4. Top with turkey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then cover with another bread slice, mayonnaise side up.
5. Top each sandwich with more lettuce, half of the tomato slices, 3 cooked bacon slices, pickle, mayonnaise side down.
6. Cut sandwiches diagonally into fourths. Secure each quarter with decorated toothpicks. Arrange, cut sides up, on individual plates.
Now that you have some nifty ideas on how to make school lunches healthier, and even a recipe for lighter club sandwiches, your child's lunches will be healthy and delicious.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
Following a low-carb diet is crucial for anyone with diabetes, or for anyone trying to incorporate more protein and less sugar into… Continue reading: "Low-Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole"
- How to Plan a Soup Bar Party: 6 Tips for a Great Event
- Spice Guide: How to Season Meat
- Cooking Tips for Managing Arthritis Pain
- How To Make Sticky Rice (stovetop Method)
- Herbs for Health: The 10 Best Herbs for Healthy Cooking
- Simple Healthy Recipes + Cooking Tips for Beginners
- Low Carb Baking Substitutions
- How to Make Zoodles + Zoodle Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- The Best Easy Orange Drizzle Cake
- The Best Easy Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- Ham And Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Vegetable Casserole
- Easy Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine
- Easy 30 Minute Sausage And Pepper Pasta
- Raspberry Fluff Jello Salad Recipe Copycat
- Easy 30 Minute Turkish Lentil Soup
- Easy And Saucy 30 Minute Pork Yuk Sung- Pork Mince
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook