Ham and Cheese Stromboli
The best part about this Ham and Cheese Stromboli recipe from Anne Colagioia is that it shows you how to add another Italian food favorite to your gluten free list. As a bonus, you can use the dough from this stromboli recipe to make calzones.
The same dough used in this recipe can be used to make two Calzones using a similar technique that was used with the Stromboli. A demonstration of the Calzone preparation can be seen at the end of the video tutorial for the Stromboli.
For more gluten free recipes from Anne, be sure to check out her Featured Foodies profile page.
To see exactly how Anne makes this gluten free stromboli recipe, watch this food video tutorial:
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time35 min
- 1/4 pound ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound provolone cheese
- 7 ounces Greek yogurt
- 7 ounces gluten free Bisquick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Egg wash (an egg beaten with a tablespoon of milk)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C.
- Combine the yogurt, gluten free Bisquick, olive oil, and parmesan cheese in a medium mixing bowl and mix until you have a smooth ball of dough with a consistency of play dough. I’ve found that using the back of a metal spoon in a smashing type motion along the bottom of the bowl works best.
- Place the entire ball of dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and begin patting it into a rectangular shape. Use the edges of the plastic wrap folded in one at a time to clean up rough edges as demonstrated in the video. Once you have a fairly nice rectangular shape place a second sheet of plastic wrap on top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough rolling from the center to the edges until you have a rectangle measuring roughly 10 by 13 inches.
- Top the entire sheet of dough with ham leaving a 1 1/2 inch border along one long edge. Repeat with the provolone then use the plastic wrap to roll up the Stromboli. Start with a fold about a quarter of the way up the width then peel back the plastic wrap before folding a second time. On the third fold you should end up with your seam centered on the bottom. Slip your hand under the plastic wrap for easy transport of the Stromboli to a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake it at 375 degrees F 20 minutes then remove it from the oven and paint the top with egg wash before baking it for another 15 minutes. Let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving it.
Read NextGrandma's Gluten Free Cornbread