Hobo Hubby Casserole
You don't have to be a hobo to enjoy this delicious casserole! This Hobo Hubby Casserole is made from whatever is left in the refrigerator. Italian flavors give this easy casserole recipe its too-good-to-be-true taste. Don't worry, budget casserole recipes like this one can be made into healthy dinner recipes, too! You definitely don't need to spend a lot of time and money making a healthy dinner for your family.
This casserole is a great easy and healthy dinner recipe, and it's budget-friendly, too. So if you're pressed for time and need to get food on the table, you should reach for this easy peasy casserole recipe. Healthy dinner recipes don't get any easier — or more filling. Just serve this casserole with a fresh salad or steamed vegetables on the side, and dinner is ready to go.
This casserole is easier to make than lasagna! It's a layered casserole of noodles, creamy mixture, tomato, and meat, all topped with cheese. Using low-fat ingredients allows this to be as delicious as, yet more healthy than, a standard lasagna.
This casserole is made with Italian flavors. To give it a Tex-Mex spin instead, add ½ teaspoon ground cumin when browning the turkey, use 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro instead of basil, and add 2 tablespoons salsa when adding the tomato sauce.
Want even more casserole recipes? Check out these 35+ Heart Healthy Casserole Recipes.
Cooking Time25 min
Cooking MethodCasserole, Oven
- 12 ounces medium egg noodles
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream, divided
- 3/4 cup low-fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded 2% fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of salted water until just tender, about 7 minutes, or as package directs. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown turkey for 5 minutes. Drain. Add the onion and garlic to the pan with the turkey. Continue to cook over medium-high heat for 2 more minutes until lightly browned.
- Add tomato sauce and basil to the pan, and stir over medium-high heat for another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir ¾ cup of the sour cream with the cream cheese until very smooth and well mixed.
- To assemble the casserole, layer half of the noodles, half of the cream mixture, and half the meat mixture. Repeat. Top with the cheddar cheese and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the remaining sour cream and fresh basil leaves.