The Beginner's Guide to the Paleo Diet
This paleo diet food list is a great resource whether you're just starting out or a veteran to the paleo diet!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The paleolithic diet (paleo diet for short) has taken the world by storm as the new way to eat low-carb. The paleo diet is based on the diet that our ancestors are believed to have followed based on their resources. Since they were hunter-gatherers, the "caveman" diet includes plenty of protein and vegetables but no simple carbs or dairy products. In a nutshell, the paleo diet is full of whole foods like poultry, seafood, eggs, and fresh produce and it eliminates all processed foods. This trend became popular when scientific research led consumers to believe that many of the diseases plaguing our society today (like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease) were being caused or exasperated by highly processed foods.
In need of some paleo snacks? Check out our collection of 8 All-Natural Paleo Snacks
To put it simply, if it came from an animal, it's paleo. Meats that are highly processed (such as hot dogs) are not the best choice, but pretty much anything else is fair game. Some common meats include:
Seafood is a great source of lean protein and healthy fats, and you can get your fill of fish even on the paleo diet.
Fruits and Veggies
Pretty much all vegetables are paleo, with a few precautions. If you're following the paleo diet to lose weight, starchy vegetables tend to have a pretty low nutritional value compared to the carbs and sugars that they contain, so enjoy yams, sweet potatoes, squash, and beets in moderation.
Fruits are a great way to eat something a little sweet while on the paleo diet, but again, some of these fruits are still loaded with sugar. Even though it's natural, this extra sugar can inhibit weight loss so eat in moderation!
Pretty much all nuts are paleo, so snack away! Careful, though, as legumes are not part of the paleo diet, so peanuts are out of the question. Some nuts are high in fat, too, so be careful if you're trying to lose weight.
Oils and Fats
Contrary to popular belief, fat does not make you fat. Healthy fats (still in moderation, of course) are actually good for you! Not all fats are paleo friendly, though, so stick to the list below.
Paleo Diet Recipes
While there are definitely more foods that you can't eat versus those that you can eat on the paleo diet, it doesn't mean that you can't eat anything delicious! The following recipes are all paleo-friendly and definitely delicious.
Breakfast: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Lunch: Mexican Mason Jar Salads
Dinner: One-Skillet Sausage and Sweet Potato Hash
Dessert: Paleo Opera Cake
Snack: Dark Chocolate Apple Wedges
Every paleo dieter needs to check out this collection of almost three weeks worth of paleo-friendly meals: 20 Easy Paleo Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
Following a low-carb diet is crucial for anyone with diabetes, or for anyone trying to incorporate more protein and less sugar into… Continue reading: "Low-Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole"
- 11 Healthy Low-Carb Recipes
- 49 Recipes for Diabetics: Low-Sugar and Low-Carb Menu Ideas
- 38 Best Ever Low-Carb Diet Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes
- "The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes" Free eCookbook
- The Protein Power Diet
- Our Favorite Feel Good Foods: 11 Low Carb Recipes
- Low-Carb Diet Hacks
- 14 Sugar Free Recipes for Dessert
- 15 Simple Low-Fat Dessert Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- The Best Easy Orange Drizzle Cake
- The Best Easy Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- Ham And Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Vegetable Casserole
- Easy Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine
- Easy 30 Minute Sausage And Pepper Pasta
- Raspberry Fluff Jello Salad Recipe Copycat
- Easy 30 Minute Turkish Lentil Soup
- Easy And Saucy 30 Minute Pork Yuk Sung- Pork Mince
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook