Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables
Just because you are on a gluten free diet does not mean you cannot enjoy easy baked pasta. This recipe for Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables from Anne Colagioia is an unforgettable crowd favorite that delights the senses.
This recipe was written as a gluten free meal. If you are not following a gluten free diet, you can easily substitute regular pasta for the gluten free variety and flour for the cornstarch in the béchamel sauce.
For more gluten free recipes from Anne, be sure to check out her Featured Foodies profile page.
Check out this video tutorial to see exactly how to make this baked penne dish:
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time35 min
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cup cauliflower
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces gluten free penne
- BECHAMEL SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F or 205 degrees C
- Slice the tomatoes into pieces yielding 16 pieces per tomato, slice the broccoli florets and cauliflower into bite sized, remove the bottom 1/3 of the asparagus and slice them into 1 to 2 inch pieces then put all the veggies in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, thyme, and salt and pepper. After stirring these ingredients together, spoon the mixture over the chopped vegetables and stir until all of the veggies are thoroughly coated.
- Pour the vegetables onto a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray and bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- While this is baking prepare the pasta according to package instructions then drain, toss with a teaspoon of olive oil, and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Make the béchamel sauce using the instructions below.
- Mix the pasta, with the roasted vegetables and béchamel sauce then spoon the mixture into a greased 10x10 or 9x12 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with additional grated cheese and paprika then broil for 5 to 7 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly.
Instructions for the béchamel sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over a medium-low heat melt the butter, then add the cornstarch and stir until smooth then continue stirring until the mixture just starts to turn golden about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the milk and continue stirring as you bring the mixture up to a boil then lower the heat and continue stirring until the sauce has thickened and reached a consistency that will coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the Pecorino Romano, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
Read NextBaked Penne with Roasted Vegetables