Nutella Joe Muddy Buddies
Also known as puppy chow, Muddy buddy is always a delicious snack idea. This Nutella Joe Muddy Buddies recipe from Anne Colagioia updates the classic muddy buddy recipe by adding delectable Nutella spread. This is definitely one of the best gluten free recipes around. You will wish that all healthy snacks recipes tasted this good!
I used corn Chex in this recipe but you could use rice Chex or another variety but if you are following a gluten free diet be sure to choose a gluten free variety.
When doubling the recipe be sure to use a 2 gallon zippered bag instead of the 1 gallon bag I used for this quantity.
For Step 4, if you don’t have a microwave or prefer a more traditional melting method you could place your heat safe bowl over a pot of gently simmering water, be sure the water level is not touching the bottom of the bowl and as the ingredients begin to melt stir the mixture until it’s smooth and pourable.
For more gluten free recipes from Anne, be sure to check out her Featured Foodies profile page.
To see exactly how Anne makes this gluten free recipe, watch this video recipe:
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time5 min
- 4 1/2 cups Chex cereal
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder, or instant coffee
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and set it aside.
- Measure the cereal into a large bowl with enough room for mixing and set it aside.
- If your espresso powder isn’t fine enough put it into a small sandwich bag and crush up the granules with either a flat mallet or rolling pin before adding the powdered sugar and espresso powder to a 1 gallon Ziploc bag and shake to combine.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, Nutella, and butter on high for one minute then stir. Microwave for an additional 20 to 30 seconds depending on the microwave and stir again until smooth. Pour the mixture over the cereal and stir until the cereal is pretty evenly coated. Work quickly to prevent the chocolate from solidifying.
- Add the coated cereal to the bag with the powdered sugar and espresso mixture, seal the bag, and shake it until the cereal is well coated. Then dump it out onto the waxed paper and allow it to cool. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week
Read NextNo Bake Brownie Energy Bites