- see all comments
"Looks good but haven't tried it yet"
"What is the nutrition for this recipe?"
"The recipe won't pull up. I get and error page from a blogger named Kelly."
"5 ingredient cheesecake for 2"
Squash Pudding Pie
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
I have been making and sharing this Squash Pudding Pie recipe for at least 10 years. Not just for Thanksgiving, this delicious dairy-free, low-sugar twist on the classic pumpkin pie makes an impressive dessert or snack throughout the fall and winter. It has a taste and texture like pie but contains a fraction of the carbs and fat grams. It also takes less time to assemble than pie with a crust. For a fancy presentation, serve a scoop of Vanilla, Cinnamon, or Ginger Ice Dream on top of or next to each serving of pie. Try Basil Ice Dream if youâ€™re feeling adventurous.
If apple or pumpkin pie spice is not available, substitute ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon dried ginger (powder), ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon dried orange zest, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.
Winter squash varieties to use for this recipe: butternut, buttercup, sweet dumpling, delicata, kabocha, sweet mama or Hokkaido
I recommend baking fresh winter squash—don’t steam, boil, or microwave as it won’t have much flavor. Use frozen squash as a second option or canned pumpkin as a last resort. If you use sweet winter squash rather than pumpkin, you’ll enjoy a sweeter taste with less added sweetener.
Shopping for winter squash: Look for Hokkaido pumpkin, kabocha, buttercup, honey delight, or butternut squash that feels heavy for its size. Kabocha, Hokkaido, and buttercup squash should have dark green skins, and any spots should be bright orange—not pale or yellow. A ripe butternut squash will be orange all over with no hint of green. Store all hard winter squashes at room temperature.
To cut and cook hard winter squash: Cut off the stem. Place a folded dish towel on a cutting board (this will keep the squash from slipping). Lay the squash on the towel. Cut in half from top to bottom, rocking the knife back and forth. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Bake squash halves cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet, uncovered, in a 400° F oven for 35 to 50 minutes until fork tender and juicy. Scoop out the flesh and discard the skin. Puree the flesh in a food processor, or force it through a medium-mesh sieve or the medium disk of a food mill. Freeze what you don’t plan to use within 3 days.
Recipe Source: The Ice Dream Cookbook by Rachel Albert
Copyright 2008, Planetary Press.
Replace 1/4 cup honey with 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup. For a sweeter taste, add an additional 1/4 teaspoon stevia and/or 1 tablespoon maple syrup. Blend, taste, and repeat if needed. Add another 2 teaspoons arrowroot in step #2.
For a gingery flavor, replace pie spice with 1 1/2 tablespoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger root plus 1/2 teaspoon dried ground ginger (powder). If desired, add the finely grated zest of 1 fresh orange or tangerine.
If you liked this pie recipe you'll love this collection that will help you Bake a Perfect Pie for Thanksgiving - 38 Recipes to Try.
Yields1 10-inch pie
Preparation Time30 min
Cooking Time1 hr
- 3 cups winter squash, baked or simmered, scooped from the skin and mashed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk, blended, preservative-free (full fat, not lite)
- 1/4 cup honey (use an additional 1 or 2 tablespoons as needed)
- 3 eggs, or 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or natural vanilla flavoring or maple extract or flavoring
- 1 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt, finely ground
- 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia extract powder or ½ to 1 teaspoon clear stevia extract liquid (start with less; add more only if needed)
- 1 1/4 quart Vanilla Ice Dream, or Cinnamon, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Rum Raisin, or Basil Ice Dream (see The Ice Dream Cookbook for recipes) or Real Whipped Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Purée all of the ingredients in a blender, Vita-Mix, food processor, or food mill, or in a bowl with an electric mixer. If using a blender or small processor, blend in 2 batches, then combine in a bowl. Mixture should be thick. If too stiff to blend, add 1/4 cup water and blend again. For a sweeter taste, add 1/4 teaspoon additional stevia and/or 1 tablespoon honey. Blend, taste, and repeat if needed. Note: Pie will become sweeter and more concentrated as it bakes.
- Pour into an oiled 10-inch deep-dish pie plate. Smooth with a spatula. Bake in the center of the oven until firm, slightly golden, and dry around the edges, about 60 minutes. Allow pie to cool for ½ hour. Refrigerate until completely cool and firm, several hours or overnight, before serving.
- Cut into 8 slices and serve. Use within 4 days.
Read NextCrazy Good Chocolate Pie
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
"Bruschetta Chicken Pasta Flavorful chicken and tender pasta, topped with a balsamic glaze. Your favorite appetizer in an easy 30… Continue reading: "Bruschetta Chicken Pasta"
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- GET fast cooking tips
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Birthday Cake Overnight Oats
- Mediterranean Pinwheels
- Butternut Squash Smoothie
- Easy Rhubarb Delight Bars Recipe
- Best Simple Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
- Easy Creamy Ranch Chicken Recipe
- Easy Chicken Chop Suey Recipe
- Easy Salmon Patties
- Low Carb Egg White Wrap
- Overnight Cookie Dough Oats
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook