Irish Colcannon with Cabbage and Bacon
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
"Colcannon is a traditional Irish mashed potato and cabbage or kale dish. But now this traditional recipe will get a makeover with the addition of bacon and coconut milk instead of butter or cream. Light, hearty, smokey, this is a perfect family dinner side dish. Plus this recipe is gluten free and dairy free."
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time20 min
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into smaller pieces
- 5 slices bacon
- 1/4 head of cabbage, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
To Make the Colcannon
Place potatoes in a medium pot and fill with water, making sure the water level is one inch above potatoes. Bring to a boil, add salt, reduce heat and simmer, covered until potatoes are cooked through and soft when pierced with a fork. This should take 15 to 20 minutes.
In a separate pan, cook the bacon until cooked through and browned on both sides. Drain bacon on paper towels and cut into smaller pieces.
Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon grease and saute the cabbage in bacon grease on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
Drain the potatoes when cooked through. Add coconut milk to potatoes 1/4 cup at a time and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
Mix in cabbage and bacon, reserving a bit of bacon for the garnish.
Garnish with bacon.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Easy Keto Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Salna
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Halloween Spiderweb Carrot Soup
- Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch
- Easy Chicken Parmigiana
- Elegant Fall Charcuterie Board
- Peach Salsa
- 5 Easy Ways To Cook A Spaghetti Squash
- Butternut Squash Turkey Chili Recipe
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook