Roasted Jerk Chicken and Potatoes
This easy recipe for Roasted Jerk Chicken and Potatoes shows how a simple seasoning blend can perk up a simple roasted chicken dinner. The root veggie side dish is not only more nutritious than plain white potatoes, its also more flavorful. And the natural sweetness of those veggies counterbalances the spicier jerk seasonings in the dish well. As the temperature drops, oven roasted meals are a simple way seem to get a quick dinner on the table that everyone is sure to love.
For more recipes and information about Anne, check out her Featured Foodies profile page.
- 1 chicken (about 3 lbs.) cut up, rinsed and dried
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium onion cut into wedges
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided 2 tbsp & 1 tbsp)
- 4 tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning (divided in half)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme (divided in half)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line two baking sheets with foil sprayed with nonstick spray.
For the veggies in a large bowl toss together the sweet potatoes, potatoes and onions with 2 tbsp of olive oil, half the jerk seasoning and thyme and some salt and pepper to taste.
Spread the veggies out over a prepared baking sheet and set it aside while you prep the chicken.
In the same bowl that you just tossed the veggies add the chicken, cider vinegar, the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp of jerk seasoning, the remaining thyme, garlic, hot sauce, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste then massage the seasonings into the chicken and place the pieces onto the other prepared baking sheet.
Bake them for 1 hour or until each tray has achieved the level of color that you want then remove them from the oven and serve.
Read NextQuick and Easy Jerk Chicken and Slaw