The Farmer's Kitchen Handbook Review
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The Farmer's Kitchen Handbook Review
Gifted by: Skyhorse Publishing
Reviewed by Carlie Dobkin, Editor of FaveHealthyRecipes.com
More and more cooks are turning to their own gardens or local farmers' markets to find inspiration for their meals. This farm-to-table mentality isn't just a trend for author Marie Lawrence. Ever since she was a child, she has been eating fresh, local produce. In this handbook, she shares the fruits of her labor with the world. Inside, readers will find seasonal recipes to make the most of their farm and garden's bounty. It is organized by month, so readers will have pie recipes in the fall, stews in the winter, muffins in the spring, and quiches and salads in the summer. This beautiful cookbook is jam-packed with over 200 recipes for everything imaginable - from sauces all the way to main meals. Also included are instructions for making cheese, curing meats, canning and preserving, fermenting, and making your own spices, leavens, and extracts.
The best part about The Farmer's Kitchen Handbook is how authentic it feels. You'll notice the influence of her immigrant grandparents with traditional recipes from Scotland, Sweden, and Finland. In addition, you'll see that much of her perspective is from her rural Vermont upbringing. Each recipe has a short personal story attached to it, like how Marie's mother used to serve biscuits with maple syrup for breakfast or that the meat and rice mixture inside the stuffed cabbage comes straight from her Grandma Kall's kitchen. You will also get recipes for her family's holiday classics, like Easter Egg Buns and a Yuletide trifle, plus directions on how to roast a 15-lb turkey for Thanksgiving. There are tons of old-fashioned recipes like Brunswick Stew, Oatmeal Jammies, Rustic Bread, Yorkshire Pudding, and Crab Apple Jelly. As much as you'll love the vintage recipes, you'll also appreciate the modern ones. There are recipes for Kale Soup, Easy Barbeque Pork Sandwiches, Angel Food Cake, and Beer-Battered Fish and Chips. All of these recipes are natural and wholesome. They taste really delicious, too. If you're scared to make homemade fondue, don't be. There are great tips, clear and detailed instructions, and pretty pictures to look at, too.
This cookbook really feeds into today's conscious consumers. It is for the people who try to stay away from preservatives and packaged foods. It is for the people who want to know what they are putting into their bodies. Most importantly, it is for those who find joy in making their meals from scratch.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
With a few smart ingredient substitutions, Anne Colagioia is able to make a Bisquick impossible taco pie recipe that you can feel good… Continue reading: "Seven Layer Impossible Taco Pie"
- Luscious Chocolate Smoothies Cookbook Review
- Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook Review
- How to Cook Like a Top Chef Cookbook Review
- Healthier Without Wheat Book Review
- Working Out Sucks! (And Why It Doesn't Have To) Guidebook Review
- Take It Off, Keep It Off Book Review
- Peanut Butter Comfort Review
- The Non-GMO Cookbook Book Review
- Jazzy Vegetarian Classics Review
- "The Secret to Skinny" Guidebook Review
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- How To Make Chili Sauce With Ketchup
- Homemade Chili Sauce With Ketchup
- Mexican Tuna Salad
- Almond Joy Coffee Creamer Recipe
- Air Fryer Yellow Squash
- Inside Out Egg Rolls
- Easy Homemade Healthy Ketchup Recipe
- Homemade Tomato Ketchup Canning Recipe
- Mini Blueberry Tarts
- Easy Sprouted Mung Bean Salad
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook