This recipe was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
Irish Colcannon with Cabbage and Bacon
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
"Colcannon is a traditional Irish mashed potato and cabbage or kale dish. But now this traditional recipe will get a makeover with the addition of bacon and coconut milk instead of butter or cream. Light, hearty, smokey, this is a perfect family dinner side dish. Plus this recipe is gluten free and dairy free."
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time20 min
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into smaller pieces
- 5 slices bacon
- 1/4 head of cabbage, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
To Make the Colcannon
Place potatoes in a medium pot and fill with water, making sure the water level is one inch above potatoes. Bring to a boil, add salt, reduce heat and simmer, covered until potatoes are cooked through and soft when pierced with a fork. This should take 15 to 20 minutes.
In a separate pan, cook the bacon until cooked through and browned on both sides. Drain bacon on paper towels and cut into smaller pieces.
Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon grease and saute the cabbage in bacon grease on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
Drain the potatoes when cooked through. Add coconut milk to potatoes 1/4 cup at a time and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
Mix in cabbage and bacon, reserving a bit of bacon for the garnish.
Garnish with bacon.
Read NextLight and Easy Singapore Noodles
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
"Meals that use as few pans, dishes and utensils as possible make our lives that much easier. That means more time for yourself,… Continue reading: "One-Pan Roasted Chicken & Veggies"
- Light and Easy Singapore Noodles
- Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
- Easy Thai Green Curry Paste
- Irish Colcannon with Cabbage and Bacon
- Air Fryer Falafel Balls
- Pineapple Fried Rice
- Pudina Rice
- Easy And Delicious Spicy Thai Noodle Bowl | Egg Roll In A Bowl
- How To Make Homemade Sushi
- Chicken & Vegetables In Brown Sauce
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Cheesy Hot Baked Spinach Dip Recipe
- Easy Mangalore Fish Curry With Coconut Milk
- Air Fryer Tacos
- How To Make Taco Shells In The Air Fryer
- How To Cook A Turkey
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Simple Red Cabbage Soup
- The Best Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- The Ultimate Easy Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Healthy Turkey Tetrazzini
- 11 Easy Soup & Stew Recipes
- 12 Must-See Simple Salad Recipes
- 17 Low-Calorie Recipes: Easy Healthy Recipes for Your Diet
- 27 Easy and Healthy Casserole Recipes For You
- 31 Healthy Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker Free eCookbook
- Cheap Recipes Made Easy: 25 Healthy Low Cost Recipes
- How to Have Healthy Eating Habits: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas Free eCookbook
- The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes Free eCookbook
- The Best Healthy Breakfast Recipes: 29 Super Easy Breakfast Menus
- The Ultimate List of Healthy Snacks: 40 Healthy Snack Recipes Free eCookbook